Hey y’all, I’m Katie!!!!!! I’m the owner and photographer (and email answerer, and photo editor, and album designer, and print orderer) here at Katie McDonald Photography. I won’t bore you with how my dad gave me my first camera, how I’ve loooooved photography since I was little, blah blah, blah because chances are you don’t really care about that stuff. You wanna know about me in the here and now…what my personality is like and to find out if we are gonna get along, right? If you’re not so interested in my quirks and instead would like to know about my photography style and the business stuff feel free to check out the FAQ page!
So the first thing that you should know about me is that I loooooooove lists. So the rest of this info will be delivered via list form, obviously…oh, and gifs. Because I could literally have a whole conversation via gif. Also go grab a snack and get cozy, because I’m uber chatty and a for reals over sharer!
- The best way to describe my personality is I’m basically the love child of Olivia Pope and Leslie Knope. I’m determined, loyal and most definitely a workaholic. My enthusiasm is contagious (as is my sometimes foul mouth) and I thrive on chaos, which makes handling a wedding day or the sudden mood changes of a toddler no big deal for me.
- I have a bachelor’s degree in photojournalism from the University of Kentucky. Being a photographer isn’t my side hustle or something that just sounded fun. Being an entrepreneur was my plan from the get-go so much so that working at Katie McDonald Photography is the only job I’ve ever had in my adult life!
- As being a UK alum suggests, I’m unapologetically a sassy southern lady. I like my tea sweet, my booze oak barrel aged, my basketball arenas with banners in the rafters and monograms on all.the.things!
- I adore timelines and to-do lists. I think it’s the act of crossing things off as you accomplish them that gets me…I will even go so far as to add a task to my list after I’ve done it, just so that I can cross it off! Yes, I know that’s neurotic. No, I’m not embarrassed about it.
- Binge watching is my only hobby…I’d love to say ‘oh I love hiking’ or ‘I just adore trying new macaroon recipes’ but that shit simply isn’t true. Sitting on my couch wearing leggings and fuzzy socks watching TV and Movies=LIFE!!!! Shameless, Scandal, Grey’s Anatomy, The Big Bang Theory, The Real Housewives of Anywhere, Game of Thrones…my DVR is constantly full! I also rent movies (and thus converse in movie quotes) more than I should probably admit.
- I’m obsessed with Tervis Tumblers and Yetis. I have a gazillion and will likely collect a gazillion more! My cabinets literally overfloweth with cups. If you don’t have one GET ONE, or seven! Trust me you won’t be disappointed.
- Siesta Key is the #1 beach in America and has a forever #1 place in my heart! It’s quite literally my happy place. If you haven’t been do yourself a favor and go! Something about that white sands renews me like no where else I’ve ever been. If you are planning a wedding there, you will get a discount…especially if your wedding is in February when it’s frigid and gross here!
- I’m an aficionado of geek culture. I changed my Siri to be a British man so he sounded more like JARVIS, thus making me feel more like Tony Stark. Going to Comic Con is on my bucket list. If it’d been solely up to me there’s a prettttty good chance that my son’s name would have been Anakin or Finnick. So please let me know if you’d like to have a spirited conversation about Jon Snow’s parentage or the lack of Gambit in the X-Men movies…I’ll happily oblige.
- I’m a wife and a mom. I didn’t want becoming a mother to change me, it did, but totally for the better. It’s made me a better photographer without question. I’ve always shot with a sense of purpose but now my “20 year goggles” and clearer than ever.
- I’m a creature of habit and adore consistency: in life, in photography and especially when it comes to food. The staff at Panchero’s knows my order and will correct me if I’ve accidentally placed it wrong! Not sure if that’s totally awesome or a little sad. Probably both.
- I’m obsessed with my dogs. They’re Boston Terriers and they are PERFECT!!!! I have a human child and a picture of my dogs is still the lock screen on my phone…not kidding. I’m first and foremost a fur-baby lover!!! If you bring your dog to your session, please don’t be offended if I pay more attention to them than to you! ;)
Welp folks….that’s me! If you have any other questions about what makes me tick just ask!
Come visit me on social media or click the ‘Let’s Chat’ page so I can get to know a little bit about you and how I can help you create some once in a lifetime memories!